Woohoo! My mother-in-law gave me a water bath canner! I didn't know what to do with it but I was really excited. After our garden produced way too many tomatoes to eat in one week I started reading all of the recipes I could find on preserving. I decided to go with a really basic one. You simply blanch, skin and seed the tomatoes and cook them down til the desired thickness. Since I don't own a fine sieve or food mill I used my hands. After blanch and skinning, I gently squeezed out most of the guts (didn't remove all the seeds but oh well) and put the rest of the tomato in a pot to cook them down. Add the sauce to the warm jars with lemon juice and seasoning and give the jars a nice little water bath.
Here is the link to the website. It was a lot easier and cleaner the second time around, either way I am addicted to preserving my own food. Vince and I will be eating local produce year round now, how awesome is that!!
Since today is Saturday, this morning we made our way to the farmers market (although vendors are there almost everyday) and I was looking at any and everything I could can. Today I got my hands on a whole bunch of green beans. (You don't know it's dinner unless there are green beans.) Took them home ready to start the water bath process all over and started looking up recipes. Turns out you can not can green beans in a water bath canner, good thing my awesome mother-in-law owns a pressure canner. So I loaded up the beans and spent the afternoon with the in laws! Well here are some photos of the canning.
We had a mystery plant in our garden and it turned out to be a pumpkin.
No comments:
Post a Comment